Almost RED VELVET Rich Beetroot Chocolate Cake Recipe (just in time for Valentine’s Day!)
This is one of my favourite new recipes for a healthy treat.
My goal for a while has been to feed my body and my family and friends REAL FOOD without too many restrictions on enjoying the things we love, like chocolate! That means knowing what I’m eating, and making sure all ingredients look as close as possible to what it looks like in nature, so that means REAL INGREDIENTS.
What I also love about this recipe is that, for one, it’s chocolate cake. Two, it’s naturally sweetened and has nutrient dense ingredients. And three, it’s paleo friendly, grain free and dairy free.
I was also inspired to use this recipe for a few reasons. This cake has now served as a birthday cake for a friend, as well as a blood building nutritious cake for myself when craving things like chocolate and supportive foods during menstruation.
- 3 cups cooked and grated beets
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup organic raw cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- organic coconut oil to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a food processor, mix beets, eggs and olive oil.
- Add the honey, vanilla extract, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder and coconut flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into a greased cake pan of choice. A 9-inch diameter pan will do.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean from the centre.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving. Garnish as desired and enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from The Saffron Girl Website.
For more information on living REAL and eating REAL, Yaletown Naturopathic Clinic at 604-235-8068 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org!