Menopause is a natural end to a woman's fertile phase of life, resulting in hormone fluctuations around the time of menopause, and ultimate cessation of menstruation and ovulation.
It is important to honour and to support this time of life with botanical and nutritional medicine for relief of symptoms. Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy may be indicated for relief of symptoms. Support for the adrenal glands is also very important before and during this time as well, since the adrenals have to take over reproductive hormone production when the ovaries no longer do.
Women tend to be the caregivers, who may reach a place of feeling depleted at this time, so it is important to nourish the body and the mind.
Screening for cardiovascular disease and declining bone health becomes increasingly important at this time as well.
Symptoms of menopause include the following:
- Hot flashes
- Irregular bleeding around the time of menopause
- Heart palpitations or change in heart rate
- Anxiety and Irritability
- Memory loss and difficulty concentrating
- Sleep disturbances
- Pain with intercourse
- Decreased libido
- Vaginal dryness, itching and thinning of the membranes
- Urinary frequency, incontinence
- Breast atrophy, tenderness, etc.