The skin is a reflection of our inner state of health. Skin conditions, such as acne, have a wide array of causes and reflect imbalance in the body. Issues such as hormonal imbalance, digestive problems, food sensitivities or stress may all potentially lead to body imbalance and the development or the worsening of skin conditions.
We have put together for you a list of tips to help you maintain healthier skin:
- Drink water. The skin does possess some detoxing qualities. When the liver and kidneys become overburdened by excess toxins, such as when we are dehydrated, this can lead to break outs in the skin in its attempt to clear toxins. Opt for water when you are thirsty over juice, caffeinated or sugary beverages. An easy way to increase your water intake is to carry a reusable stainless steel water bottle with you to always have water on hand.
- Opt for green tea. Regular green tea consumption, over other caffeinated beverages, can help reduce severity of skin breakouts. Polyphenols contained in green tea are powerful These can help prevent breakouts and heal damaged, inflamed skin.
- Eat plenty of anti-oxidant rich foods. Anti-oxidants quench free radical damage in the body thus minimizing inflammation and can slow signs of aging. Foods high in anti-oxidants include berries and other fruits and vegetables.
- Do not follow crash diets. Feed yourskin from the inside out. Regular proper nutrition is important for healthy skin. Nutritional deficiencies in your diet can impair healing and create imbalances that lead to skin issues.
- Get your rest. Lack of sleep can lead to impaired healing and therefore signs of aging, as well as create hormonal imbalance. To boost the quality of your sleep, quiet your mind and stay away from intense mental or physical activity for a few hours before bedtime. Also shut off sources of artificial light such as TV, computers and cell phones at least an hour before bed.
- Stress can get under yourskin, literally. Chronic stress can speed up the aging process and can even contribute to skin issues like acne, aging, and rosacea.
A naturopathic physician can discuss natural remedies and dietary changes that are necessary to improve your skin. Contact Yaletown Naturopathic Clinic today to book an appointment and begin your healing journey. Call 604-235-8068 or email email@example.com.